First FAI UEFA Youth Cert course ran in Co. Cavan
14 coaches are currently participating in the first ever FAI UEFA Youth Cert course to be delivered in Co. Cavan. The course is being ran at John Sherlock Memorial Park Cootehill Harps. Coaches from Cootehill Harps FC, Ballyjamesduff FC, Cavan Shamrocks FC, Clones Town FC, Bailieboro Celtic FC, Cavan Monaghan Underage League Emerging Talent programme, Satanta FC Dundalk, Enniskillen Athletic FC and Newry City FC have completed 2 weekends during May and June and will attend a final assessment on Saturday 6th July at Cootehill Harps FC. Tutors for the course are Stephen Mc Nutt, Robbie Hoey and Tom Mohan. With assistance being provided by local UEFA B coach Jason Maguire.
FAI Development Officer for Co. Cavan Tom Mohan commented on the importance of coaches progressing on from Kick Start 1 and 2 to Youth Cert level and gaining the knowledge and coaching skills to help with the development of young players on the player pathway. Mohan also praised the CMUL, participating clubs and coaches for their enthusiasm and vision to further their coach education knowledge within the clubs and league.
The Youth course is designed to assist coaches in the development and consolidation of the
player’s (aged 13-18 years) basic soccer skills with an emphasis on individual and
positional specific skills, tactical and physical development, as well as performance.
The Course will provide coaches with the ability to:
• Identify stages in the development of young players at the Train to Train and
the Train to Compete phase.
• Plan, organise and implement linked coaching sessions.
• Assist players consolidate and refine basic soccer skills.
• Introduce tactical and positional skills as well as performance.
• Introduce soccer specific conditioning and strength training.
• Optimise fitness and soccer preparation for performance.
• Plan, implement and review sessions in a fun, safe and friendly environment.